Ostfriesland January 12th Posted on January 12th, 2015 by

We started out the day having breakfast at our host families houses. At my house we had a typical German breakfast consisting of bread, cheese, meat, fruit, and vegetables. I could get used to these non-typical American breakfasts because they are very good. After breakfast we headed towards Großefehn where we met up with the rest of the group. Once we arrived in Großefehn we boarded a bus and headed towards a local farm. This was very interesting because I was able to see how much different the farms are here compared to what I grew up around. The farm we were on had only dairy cattle and the farmer had about 80 head of cattle. After this tour we went to the Fehnmuseum in Großefehn. This was fun because we learned quite a bit about the history of Moor in the area of Ostfriesland. Moor was extracted from the ground and was used for heating building such as houses. After this we visited a couple of old churches in the Großefehn area. This was pretty cool because where we live in the U.S. we do not see churches dating back to the late 1700’s. After looking at these churches we had tea with the mayor of Großefehn. This was interesting because he didn’t speak English and Frau B. had to translate for him the entire time. While there, we got to learn about what he does and he also asked us what we thought about Germany so far. He also shared a few American stereotypes that he had. One was that we eat out all the time. I thought this was pretty funny because it is somewhat true but they misperceive us quite a bit. After the meeting with the mayor our host families picked us up and we went back to there houses for dinner. It was another good day, and I believe we are all looking forward to the coming days.