German School Visit Posted on January 15th, 2015 by

Today We spent the entire morning in a German high school that had children from fifth to tenth grade.  Harley, Dane, Dan and I arrived half an hour early so we got to hang out with the students before school began.  What that entailed was kids just staring at us for twenty minutes.  If that was because we were clearly foreigners or just because Dane is seven feet tall I guess we will never know.  After that we were toured around the school with Ellen our guide who is also a German teacher at the school.  Every class had questions but they were basically the same in every room.  First how do we like Germany, next is this your first time in Germany, and then they wanted to know what’s up with the pledge of allegiance.  Seriously we said that thing four times today because every class was so curious about it. I think that’s so funny because I don’t even know if I’ve said that since the last day of elementary school.  We then all split into groups and went and viewed an entire lesson for the students.  I was with Harley and Jon in an eighth grade German class.  It was very fun aber ich kann nur ein bissien Deutsch sprechen so I only learned for half of the lesson.  This class too had the same questions for us, but this time we didn’t have to say the pledge of allegiance so I liked that.  We were originally supposed to go do outdoor cross-country bowling but the weather decided otherwise.  So we had until six off.  I think everybody was happy about this because we were up quite late the night before celebrating Kirstin’s 21st birthday. For supper every student and their host family’s met and had some tradition German food for this area, delicious meats with grunkohl and potatoes.  We were there for three hours because after the meal we had a few beers while we sang some traditional German songs and also some American songs with an accordion.  Quite a cultural experience.